Ships calling at EU and European Economic Area ports in 2018 emitted around 140 million tonnes of CO2. Photo: © GreenOak / Shutterstock.com
Environmental impacts of shipping analysed
On 31 August, the European Environment Agency (EEA) and the European Maritime Safety Agency (EMSA) jointly launched the “European Maritime Transport Environment Report”, which among other things shows that ships calling at EU and European Economic Area ports in 2018 emitted around 140 million tonnes of CO2. Around 40 per cent of these emissions came from voyages between ports of EU member states and while the ships were at berth. the remaining 60 per cent emanated from voyages into and out of the EU.
Air pollutant emissions from ships calling at EU and European Economic Area ports in 2019 amounted to 1.63 million tonnes of sulphur dioxide (SO2), 4.46 million tonnes of nitrogen oxides (NOx), and 270,000 tonnes of PM2.5.
The report also looks at issues such as underwater noise, introduction of non-indigenous species, and pollution of the marine environment. Finally, it assesses the current state of emerging maritime transport sustainability solutions, including alternative fuels, batteries and onshore power supply.
Source: EEA press release, 19 August 2021. The report: https://www.eea.europa.eu/publications/maritime-transport/